Anderson, Constance Derr
Constance Derr Anderson, 80, of Blacksburg, died Saturday, May 16, 2009, at Montgomery Regional Hospital. She was born in Reading, Pa. on November 23, 1928, to the late William Thomas and Clara Burchard Derr. She is survived by her husband, Bruce Murray Anderson, Blacksburg; daughter and son-in-law, Marcia Anne and James Diebold, Columbus, Ohio; daughter, Nancy Louise Anderson, Leesburg, Va.; a son and daughter-in-law, David Bruce and Robin Anderson; two grandchildren, Elisabeth Wood Anderson and Robert Bruce Anderson, all from Birmingham, Ala.; a brother and sister-in-law, Thomas and Jane Derr, State College, Pa.
Connie Anderson’s career began at Ursinus College, graduating in 1950 with a B.S. in Chemistry. She was married that year, and worked for the next 10 years as a biochemical research technician at Purdue University, Johns Hopkins University, and Brandeis University, while her husband earned his degrees leading to his doctorate in Biochemistry. Beginning in 1963 she worked alongside Dr. Anderson at the University of Louisville, Ky., the University of Tennessee, and finally Virginia Tech, retiring together in 1999. During these years she co-authored over 60 research articles in major international Biochemistry Journals.
To her friends in Blacksburg, Connie was best known for her community service, including membership in the League of Women Voters, Virginia Tech Faculty Wives Club, American Association of Virginia Women’s Clubs of Roanoke Valley (Southwest District Representative), AARP Chapter 2613, and particularly for her inspirational work for the Blacksburg Senior Center Computer Lab, where she labored diligently to fulfill her dream of enabling senior citizens to enjoy the benefits of online communication. She received the Blacksburg Volunteer of the Year Award in 2000.
The family will receive friends from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 20, 2009, at McCoy Funeral Home, 150 Country Club Drive SW, Blacksburg. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be sent to The Town of Blacksburg Senior Center Endowment Fund.